https://stneotscc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/justin-2.jpg
900
900
raslade
https://stneotscc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2025/09/logo.svg
raslade2025-09-28 10:38:502025-12-18 17:40:13Justin LomasAbout us
About SNCC
St Neots Cycling Club fosters an inclusive and welcoming environment where cyclists of all abilities can enjoy and grow in the sport. With a focus on community, camaraderie, and personal development, the club offers regular rides, skill-building opportunities, and a supportive atmosphere that encourages participation and mutual respect. Whether you’re a seasoned rider or new to cycling, the club values shared experiences and the joy of exploring the countryside together.
Committee
The St Neots Cycling Club (SNCC) is guided by a dedicated committee that oversees the club’s operations, events, and member engagement. The committee comprises volunteers who are passionate about cycling and committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members.
History
St Neots Cycling Club was founded in 1887, making it one of the oldest cycling clubs in England.
We know with certainty that the club has been active across the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries, and there are likely very few clubs in the UK that predate it.
The provenance of the club’s foundation is traced to either 1887 or 1892. We have definitive evidence for the 1892 date from a ‘Race Meeting’ poster and a notice for the ‘Good Old Annual Meeting’.
For over 130 years, there has been a St Neots & District Cycling Club in existence. The inclusion of ‘District’ reflects the club’s wide catchment area, which extended well beyond St Neots itself, before clubs in Bedford and St Ives were formed.
Throughout its history, the club’s activity has ebbed and flowed. A ‘Rules’ card held in the museum records 1924 as the year of formation, suggesting a period of re-establishment. At the start of the 20th century, membership numbers were low, and club minutes from 1965 reveal discussions about disbanding and merging with a Cambridge club.
Priory Park, St Neots
In the 1890s, Mr G. Fydell Rowley, president of the St Neots and District Cycling Club, constructed a 440-yard banked cinder cycle track in Priory Park, which was originally part of the Rowley family estate. From 1895 to the early 1900s, the track hosted numerous cycling events, including open races and county championships, attracting large crowds and offering prestigious prizes. After a 40-year hiatus, racing briefly returned in 1949 with a major sports meeting that drew around 2,000 spectators, before the track fell out of competitive use once again. Today, Priory Park remains a valued public space with sports facilities, and traces of the historic cycle track can still be seen.







